Worker falls from Miami Beach condo scaffolding

An employee on Thursday reportedly fell seven stories from a scaffolding at a Miami Beach condominium complex. After the accident, he reportedly was in stable condition. Fed-OSHA is investigating. A crew member said a line may have snapped, causing the worker to fall. WSVN

Mechanic dies in accident at Chicago-area paving company

A 58-year-old Chicago-area singer died while operating equipment on his day job at a Lake Zurich, Illinois business Wednesday. The mechanic was on an asphalt paver when the accident occurred Wednesday but it was not known whether he fell from the paver or was trying to work on it at the time of the accident. […]

Michigan House approves changes to high school graduation requirements, including OSHA training

The Michigan House of Representatives passed legislation Thursday revising Michigan’s high school graduation requirements. One of the changes allows 30 hours of OSHA training to satisfy the state’s health education graduation requirement. An analysis by the nonpartisan House Fiscal Agency said the change would offer more practical skills for students already participating in career technical […]

Officials: Mechanical failure caused explosion at Dow Chemical subsidiary

Fire and other officials have concluded that mechanical failure allowed air to react with a volatile chemical, during a reclaiming process, and caused an explosion at the North Andover, Massachusetts Dow Chemical plant that left four employees seriously injured in January 2016. A separate Fed-OSHA investigation determined that the company failed to adequately design, inspect, […]

Fed-OSHA fines New Hampshire contractor nearly $10K

Fed-OSHA has ordered a Rindge, New Hampshire contracting company to pay almost $10,000 in fines after investigating a construction jobsite injury in January, when an employee fell about 20 feet after a group of 60-foot trusses collapsed. Monadnock Ledger-Transcript (Peterborough, N.H.)

El Paso-area man electrocuted at industrial worksite

A 36-year-old man was electrocuted at a Canutillo, Texas business last week. According to one witness, there was no licensed electrician onsite, and the worker was unqualified and pulling electrical lines. KFOX (El Paso) [with video]

NIOSH: Health care worker monitoring system now tracks sharps injuries, body fluid exposures

NIOSH has released two electronic modules for tracking sharps injuries, as well as blood and body fluid exposures, among healthcare workers as part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Occupational Health Safety Network. An estimated 385,000 sharps-related injuries occur each year, according to the CDC. The OHSN analyzes existing injury data to help […]