North Carolina: AT&T employee rescued from open manhole

Emergency crews on Tuesday rescued an AT&T employee from an open manhole in Raleigh, North Carolina. He had been part of a crew pulling fiber lines when he fell 15 feet into the manhole and was unable to escape. WRAL (Raleigh, N.C.)

One year later, woman visits Las Vegas construction site where husband died

One year ago, Ricardo Bautista was killed in a scaffolding collapse at the Tivoli Village construction site in Las Vegas. On Tuesday, for the first time, his widow visited the spot where he died. Nevada OSHA cited two serious violations and fined his employer $7,000 in the incident. Protesters have criticized Performance Builders for failing […]

Ohio employee dies in forklift accident

A 30-year-old Lebanon, Ohio man died Tuesday while helping move a large piece of equipment into a Franklin manufacturer when the load he was under slid off the forks of a forklift and crushed him. Fed-OSHA is investigating. Journal-News

Washington: NRA battles state on gun range exposure regs

Under proposed new state regulations, Washington shooting ranges would be required to monitor ventilation systems and check lead levels in employees’ blood. Studies show that even just a single day of shooting can leave someone with elevated blood lead levels, and range employees are at particular risk. The National Rifle Association is pushing back on […]

Keeping propane forklift safety top of mind

Although safe operation of a forklift should always be top of mind for operators, reinforcing safety measures can sometimes take a back seat to meeting the needs of a busy warehouse or distribution center. Taking a few minutes to reinforce these simple safety practices can help keep forklift operators safe when using propane forklifts. Here […]

Stop-work requested at Pennsylvania VA site after chemical spill

The union representing non-management employees at a VA Medical Center worksite in Altoona, Pennsylvania is calling for temporary stoppage of the construction project following a chemical spill that made several medical workers ill. A container of xylene might may been spilled near an air intake, leading to odors that caused headaches, confusion, sore throats, burning […]